Dates: July 11-15th, August 8th-12th. 9-4pm
Students will spend 5 days on the farm.
Farm camp activities include:
- Meeting, caring for, and feeding our horses. Meet chickens and pigs at another local farm.
- Plant seeds, do some weeding, harvest vegetables, make farm pizza and vegetable soup.
- Take local field trips to learn from an herbalist, a beekeeper, our hydroponic greenhouse, and a local chef.
- Swim and play in the river.
- Go for a hay ride through the cow pasture.
- Make herbal healing products from local herbs that they can take home. Learn about setting positive intentions.
- Understand the valuable contribution that bees make to our food system. Do a hands on activity with honey and take some home.
- Make a vision board to clarify what you might like to create in your life in the coming years.
- August campers will get to go to the Addison County Agricultural Fair for one day
- The week's activities culminate with the children harvesting vegetables and fruits and making their own soup and farm pizza, as well as marketing the produce to customers at the farm stand. They will share what they know about the products, answer customer's questions, and help compute purchases, including giving change.
- Learn about the healing benefits of the essential oils of plants and flowers and make room/body spray to take home
- Have fun!
Spending time on a working diversified farm opens up children's eyes to the wonders and possibilities of the natural world and their ability to mold it. It also inspires them to consider new possibilities. (One camper in the July camp thinks she wants to become an herbalist as a result of her experiences.)
To apply, please contact us for an application.
The week on the farm will help students:
- Build self confidence
- Inspire learning in an experiential hands on way
- Increase knowledge of planting, growing, and harvesting healthy organic food
- Learn about how plants found in your yard can help you heal
- Work effectively with others
- Understand how to care for animals safely and with gentleness